Sunday, July 23, 2006

Race & long run day!

Well what a day! A 10k race planned that gets under way at 9am. Now when I do a race I need to eat 3hrs before hand, so I was up just before 6ish.
Felt good whenI woke up but right glute was a bit tight. Think from all the driving yesterday. After almost getting lost on my way there I found the place (hunter valley gardens) just before 8am. Started warming up just after 8:30 & did around 2k in the warm up.
Was feeling pretty good now & looking forward to getting the race underway. I read the info for the course & it said it was rather flat.
The race got off on time & I took it easy at the start just hanging back. There were twist & turns everywhere for the 1st km. We been running for around 4 1/2 min & I realised there wasn't going to be any km markings so I wasn't sure how fast I was going. There were about 8 other runners in front of me & 3 of them were quite easy to pass. I was coming 5th & could here this guy just behind me.
After 8min the hills started & here I am thinking this would be a flat run.......yeah right! They LIED! I got to the turn around in 19:48. I was feeling tired, heavy & down right stuffed! Just said to myself "get your ass into gear & finish this bloody thing!"
Finally got to the finish in 6th place overall with a time by my watch in 36:59. There were around 150 people in the race. Think I came 1st or 2nd for my age group.

After a quick stretch & change of shoes I headed out for my long run. Somehow I got caught up with the marathon runners doing their 2nd lap. I decided to run with em & do the 2nd half of the marathon course. I saw this guy I've seen at the trotters (Colin) so I ran with him & pushed him along to the end. The hills in the marathon & 1/2 marathon were massive!...This was one hell of a hard course!
So a 10k race with a 2k warmup followed by a 21k run...well the 21k was really 19.5k. So 31.5k run in total.
Muscles felt great!!!!!

After a bit of relaxing looking at the shops in the valley...they have some pretty cool shops there & I found this great chocolate shop! What do I do? I buy FUDGE!!! I love fudge...luv it, luv it, loovvve it:)

Now after all that exercise I drive to the gym & do the cycle class. Felt good in that too.
Must be getting my fitness back. Think I'm about 80%
Got on the foam roller for 15min befor the class & again for 10min after

Food
Bfast was 3 slices toast with jam, bottle of powerade & a coffee
After the run had some sickly sports drink...yuk! Then went & found a coffee shop & got 2 big plain scones.
On my way to the gym had a salad roll.
After cycle had a snickers & 2 date scones & for dinner, got indian takeaway....butter chicken with rice plus some YUMMY naan bread.
Bout to go & have my fudge:)

Have ran 100k this week plus did 1 cycle class
Well thats the first week of marathon training done. Only 11 weeks to go!
Will increase my running a bit this week.

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend & I'm looking forward to working you guys hard this week;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

5:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home